Introduction – 9-day Botswana Safaris
Botswana is a landlocked country in southern Africa. It features a flat landscape, with the Kalahari Desert covering around 70% of the country.
Botswana is renowned for its vast wilderness areas, untouched scenery, and rich variety of wildlife. Safaris frequently visit this area.
The Kalahari Desert and Okavango Delta characterise Botswana’s terrain, the latter of which becomes a verdant animal home during frequent floods.
Despite its size, Botswana’s amazing animals, diversified landscapes, and rich culture can all be experienced in a nine-day safari.
Planning your route carefully and hiring a guide from a reliable tour company can help you make the most of your safari experience.
What to Expect from a 9-day Safari in Botswana
If you plan to go on a safari for nine days in Botswana, you can expect to visit one of the following attractions:
Chobe National Park, located in northern Botswana, is regarded as one of the finest safari destinations. Mokoro’s (dugout canoes) are used to explore the enchanted waters of this region as it is the preferred way to travel on the river in this region.
The Okavango Delta and Moremi are located in northern Botswana. It is well-known for its expansive grassland areas that intermittently flood, creating a thriving wildlife habitat. The Moremi Game Reserve offers year-round game viewing and breathtaking landscapes.
The Central Kalahari Game Reserve is located in the heart of the Kalahari Desert and is Botswana’s largest reserve. Although the inhospitable desert habitat does not sustain the variety of wildlife found in greener destinations, the sightings in this arid landscape are also exceptional.
The Makgadikgadi Pans National Park which is situated south of the Nxai Pan National Park and forms with its huge salt pans an impressive surreal landscape.
Best Time to Go on a 9-day Safari in Botswana
The winter season in Botswana, which lasts from May to October, is regarded as the optimal time for safaris. The weather during this time of year is very pleasant during the day, with temperatures between 22°C and 35°C, while the evenings are chilly.
As a consequence of the high water levels in the Okavango Delta, there are too many rivers and channels to navigate.
As the vegetation begins to die back, animals will congregate around the remaining watering openings. This will facilitate their location. Carnivores are also significantly active during the day than at night, during this time.
Two Typical Itineraries of the Best 9-day / 8-Night Botswana Safari Packages
Itinerary 1 – Okavango Delta & Chobe
This tour will allow you to really experience an authentic African safari and take you straight to the heart of big game country, through the Okavango Delta to Chobe.
- Day 1 – You will be picked up in Maun from the airport or hotel.
- You will meet your guide that will transport you northwards to Moremi Game reserve.
- Depending on your time of arrival at Moremi you will be served breakfast at the gate before entering the park.
- You will explore the park before being taken to your camp where you will spend your first night.
- You’ll have time to unpack and freshen up before supper is served.
- Day 2 – You will wake up early.
- You will be served breakfast before setting out on a game drive, returning around noon in time for lunch.
- You’ll have some down time after lunch until it is time for the sundowner game drive.
- This will be your second night at Moremi.
- Day 3 – You will wake up early.
- After breakfast you will pack your bags and depart on a drive through Moremi once again on your way to the Khwai Concession for the next two nights.
- The Khwai is situated in the north eastern Okavango next to Moremi.
- You will arrive in time for lunch and then time to unpack and relax before your late afternoon game drive.
- Supper will be served in the boma after which you will retire.
- Day 4 – You will wake up early.
- After breakfast you will go on your usual morning game drive.
- The highlight of your day will be a mokoro excursion along the Khwai River part of the Okavango Delta system.
- Day 5 – You will wake up early.
- You will enjoy coffee or tea and a light breakfast before heading out on your last morning drive in Khwai.
- On your return you will pack and travel to Savuti on the western side of Chobe where you’ll stay for the next two nights.
- Day 6 and 7 – You will wake up early.
- You will enjoy coffee or tea and then some time to freshen up before breakfast.
- You will have another opportunity to go on a safari in the mornings and late afternoons.
- You will be able to visit the Bushman rock painting and explore Savuti and its march.
- Day 8 – You will wake up early.
- You will enjoy coffee or tea.
- This will be followed by breakfast before you pack and head out into Chobe for the next night.
- Enjoy game drives and what the camp has to offer.
- Day 9 – You will rise early.
- You will go on your usual morning drive before heading out to Kasane.
- The highlight of your last day will be a boat cruise on the Chobe Rivers where you’ll get to experience the animals from a different perspective.
- Your safari ends after you boat cruise in Kasane.
Itinerary 2 – Kalahari Desert
Your destinations on this tour will be Nxai Pan, Makgadikgadi Pans and the Central Kalahari Game Reserve.
- Day 1 – You will be picked up in Maun at the airport of hotel of choice and depart for Nxai Pan National Park and enjoy lunch on your way.
- Arriving at Nxai Pan you will be driven over the pans that were once salt lakes. Your guide in inform you about the history of the region and the wild life that you will spot.
- You will stop at a waterhole when sun set before taken to camp, where you will be shown to your accommodation.
- You have time to freshen up before enjoying dinner around the fire.
- Day 2 – You will be woken at dawn.
- You will be served breakfast and then go on a morning drive.
- You will return to camp for some relaxing time before going on a late afternoon drive.
- You return with ample time to freshen up before supper.
- Day 3, 4 and 5 – You will rise early.
- After breakfast you will pack your bags and embark on a four-hour drive to the Makgadikgadi pans national Park.
- You will camp at a private campsite where you will be served all your meals.
- You will go on game drives along the river which has a history of often drying up but you will still be able to see many game in the area.
- Day 6 to 8 – You will rise early.
- After breakfast you will pack your bags and leave for Central Kalahari Game Reserve.
- You will have enough time on all the game drives the next few days to explore every inch of the park.
- All meals will be served at the camp and the evenings will be spent around a camp fire before you retire for bed.
- Day 9 – You will rise early.
- After three days of exploring the Kalahari it will be time to pack up and return to Maun.
- You will be dropped off at the airport or your hotel of choice.
Budget vs Luxury 9-day Safaris in Botswana
A 9-day Botswana budget safari would likely include a basic but safe resort or camp. You’ll get en-suite bathrooms but may have to forgo other amenities.
Travelling by bus or open safari vehicle is likely.
Luxury lodges are unlikely on a 4-day Botswana safari. Luxury hotels provide private bathrooms and all the amenities. Gourmet food and pampering await.
What Should I Pack for a 9-day Safari in Botswana
For a 9-day safari you will basically only need to pack the following:
- Clothing that will be suitable for the weather conditions.
- Walking shoes.
- Lightweight jacket.
- Sunscreen and bug repellent.
- A hat and sunglasses.
- Binoculars and camera.
- Any medication needed.
Tips for Going on a 9-day Safari in Botswana
Plan your nine-day trip around what you wish to see. Since Botswana has several attractions, pick one that suits you.
Pack lightly and bring only what you need because Botswana is hot and humid.
Selecting a Tour Operator for a 9 Day Safari in Botswana
Botswana safaris start with a reliable tour provider. Discuss your needs and prices. Because even a short safari is expensive, you should be free to ask all your questions.
Clarify your vacation’s aim. Do you prefer animals or scenery?
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best months to visit Okavango?
The best time to visit the Okavango Delta is between June and August and from September to October.
What will I be able to visit during a 9-day safari in Botswana?
During a 9-day safari in Botswana you will be able to see quite a bit of the country. You would probably visit the Okavango Delta or Chobe National Park for a few days each where you can enjoy game drives and perhaps safari walks.
Is a 9-day safari feasible in Botswana?
A 9-day safari in Botswana is feasible especially if you spent a few days in a location to really appreciate all it has on offer.
Is a 9-day Botswana safari expensive?
A 9-day safari can be costly unless you decide on a budget package and opt of cheaper accommodation.
How long does it take to travel between destinations in Botswana?
It can take from a few hours to a whole day to travel between the popular tourism destinations in Botswana.