Cabanas Hotel at Sun City
The Cabanas Hotel is located in Sun City, next to the beautiful Waterworld Lake. This newly renovated hotel exudes a relaxed luxury vibe that will quickly make you feel like you’re on vacation.
The Cabanas Hotel offers a variety of room types, including standard twin suites, ground-floor suites with lake views, and wheelchair-accessible suites. Booking a suite includes a full breakfast and unlimited access to Sun City’s Valley of Waves, as well as breathtaking views of the manicured gardens of Waterworld Lake.
The relaxed atmosphere and stylish décor alive with vibrant colours of the Cabanas Hotel give it the feel of a tropical vacation destination.
With plenty of entertainment options for the whole family, the Cabanas Hotel is an excellent base from which to explore the wonders of the greater Pilanesberg area.
Visit the Pilanesberg Game Reserve during the day, which is famous around the world for its incredible diversity of fauna and flora, including the Big 5. By night, take in one of Sun City’s spectacular cabaret shows or try your luck in one of the city’s many casinos.
Take a leisurely sundowner cruise on Waterworld Lake. Jet skiing, water skiing, and windsurfing are all popular adrenaline rush activities. Meanwhile, the kids can have hours of supervised fun at Kamp Kwena, located on the Cabanas lawn and featuring an adventure playground, an animal farmyard, and a fully-equipped games centre.
Sun City is located in the greater Pilanesberg area, about an hour and a half drive from Johannesburg, and is ideally situated for easy access to the malaria-free Pilanesberg National Park.
The Cabanas Hotel is a three-star establishment where guests can rest and rejuvenate in between their exciting days and wild evenings spent exploring the resort.
There are 24 standard rooms with lake views, 120 standard twin rooms, 32 family rooms with lake views, 201 family standard rooms, and 3 accessible rooms. Showers are a standard feature in all bathrooms.
The majority of the Cabanas’ rooms have lake views, while others open up into the hotel’s tropical gardens.
A flat-screen television with satellite channels, universal plug connections (voltage 220/240V), air conditioning, a safe and hairdryer, a telephone, a refrigerator, a kettle, complimentary coffee and tea, and a work desk are all standard room amenities.
The following are included as part of the standard room service offered:
- Included buffet breakfast is subject to change depending on the tariff.
- Access to the Valley of Waves at no additional cost
- A service that includes ironing and laundry (surcharge)
- Normal chores around the rooms
The hotel’s amenities and services include free Wi-Fi, a 24-hour reception desk, an on-site ATM, luggage storage, newspapers, on-site parking, a free bus shuttle service within the resort, an outdoor pool, and unlimited free access to Valley of Waves.
Although all of the rooms are non-smoking, there are designated smoking areas.
Other facilities available to guests are:
- The Welcome Centre located at the Entertainment Centre’s entrance provides services such as booking and confirming bus tickets, flights, car rentals, game drives, and other adventure activities.
- The Valley of Waves is Sun City’s main attraction. It is one of the world’s most technologically advanced water parks, dominated by the Roaring Lagoon, a wave pool with a palm-fringed beach. All resort residents enjoy free admission to the park.
- The Entertainment Centre is Sun City’s popular entertainment and gaming hub, with a variety of restaurants and bars, a kid’s games arcade, a cinema, and the well-known Superbowl, which has hosted world-famous artists in the past. A variety of stores are available to meet your every need. The Entertainment Centre also houses a slots-only casino with the most up-to-date Smart Card-operated machines.
- The Gary Player Country Club has a beautiful view of the famous golf course. This is an 18-hole, par 72 walking course with a 5-kilometre running trail. A Pro Shop, a health spa and gymnasium, two squash courts, and a spinning studio all form part of the Gary Player Country Club.
- Gary Player, a well-known South African golfer, also designed the Lost City Golf Course. This spectacular par-72 cart course includes a water hazard with 20 live Nile crocodiles on the 13th hole and amenities such as a driving range and golf Pro Shop are also on the premises.
- The Gary Player Country Club’s ultra-luxurious health spa is the ideal place for relaxation and enjoyment of a wide range of beauty and hair treatments, a hydro bath, Vichy Shower, spa pool, and steam room.
- The Royal Salon is on the second floor of the Palace Hotel of the Lost City. There is a top-notch stylist team on hand, as well as beauty therapists for manicures, pedicures, and facials. Massages are available at The Palace Pool Deck or in the privacy of your room.
- There are several restaurants, as well as conference facilities at the resort. The hotel offers breakfasts at Palm Terrace and light snacks at the Cabanas Pool Deck and you can enjoy a cocktail or a light lunch at the Cabanas Pool Deck.
The Cabanas hotel is a great place to start exploring the rest of what Sun City has to offer. Take the free resort shuttle that runs past the Cabanas every 15 minutes to spend the day at the Valley of Waves or one of the great activities at the Welcome Centre.
Walk down to Waterworld’s lakeside beach, where you can jet ski, water ski, parasail, or go on a sunset cruise.
Allow your kids to enjoy themselves at Kamp Kwena, Rock Venture Mini Golf, or Animal World.
A 5-minute walk away is Sun City Casino, which has hundreds of exciting slot machines and over 40 popular table games. You can also get exclusive access to the Salon Privé and VIP gaming if you have a Sun MVG card.
Children can enjoy mini-golf, mini cars, bumper boats, trampolines, and a fully equipped children’s playground on the lakeshore of the Cabana’s lawns.
Combine the thrills of parachuting, water sports, and parasailing in one adventure. Allow the professionals to show you how to water ski or wakeboard. Brave the waves on a jet ski. A sunset cruise around the private lake is an excellent way to cap off the day.
A playground, mini cars, putt-putt, trampolines, and bumper boats, will keep the younger visitors happy.
A train ride can take you past the Cabanas Aviary and across a small portion of the Waterworld lake, where you can see the Impala, Ostrich, and Nyala that live in this peaceful park.
Babysitting services during the day and night, as well as supervised outings, can be arranged, as can chaperone service for the elderly and wheelchair-bound.
The Valley of Waves is one of the world’s most advanced water parks, with hydraulic mechanisms capable of producing a 1.8-meter wave every 90 seconds.
The Royal Bath swimming pool is located next to an amphitheatre that can seat over 800 people.
Golfers can play on one of two world-class 18-hole championship courses: The Gary Player Golf Course or The Lost City Golf Course.
The beautiful adjoining Pilanesberg National Park, which is malaria-free and home to the Big 5, will delight game viewers. The Welcome Centre houses wildlife safari tour operators, and guests can also enjoy individual game viewing in the park. The Welcome Centre can also arrange elephant encounters.
Sun International work on dynamic pricing and offer “best available (BAR)” rates.
Rates are quoted per room, per night, and include the following:
- A full English breakfast
- VAT at 15%
- 1% Tourism Levy applicable on the accommodation portion of the rate
- Complimentary entry into the Valley of waves and shuttle services within the resort
A maximum of two children 17 years and under can join 2 adults on a sleeper couch, including Breakfast.
One adult and 2 children 17 years and under, on a sleeper couch, will pay a single room rate including breakfast.
One adult with 3 children will pay a double room rate including breakfast.
You might also like our Cascades Hotel or Sun-City Hotel.
Can you book a room at Buffalo Thorn Lodge as individual?
No, you cannot book a room at Buffalo Thorn Lodge as individual, the lodge is rented out as a unit and visitors has exclusive use of the whole lodge.
How many guests can Buffalo Thorn Lodge accommodate?
Buffalo Thorn Lodge can accommodate ten visitors at the time, who get exclusive use of the whole lodge.
What is included in the rate for a stay at Buffalo Thorn Lodge?
All game drives, all daily conservation fees, tea and coffee in the rooms, and a daily fee for the fully serviced lodge by the staff are all included in the rates.
Can you see the Big 5 during a visit to Buffalo Thorn Lodge
Yes, you can see the Big 5 during a visit to the lodge, since rangers are able to travel throughout the entire 57,000-hectare park in open game-drive vehicles from Buffalo Thorn Lodge, allowing for up-close views of the “big 5” as well as numerous endangered species, such as cheetahs, African wild dogs, sable, and Tsessebe antelope.
Is Black Rhino Lodge easily accessible?
Yes, Buffalo Thorn Lodge is located close enough to South Africa’s busiest airport – less than 2 hours’ drive from Johannesburg.
What is the minimum stay policy at Buffalo Thorn Lodge
The minimum stay policy requires a two night stay.
Is Buffalo Thorn Lodge child-friendly
Yes, Buffalo Thorn Lodge is child-friendly, with special family rooms provided.
Is there other activities than game drives to keep guests entertained?
Yes, several other activities including walking safaris, game drives, quad riding, archery classes, drumming, interactive gumboot dancing sessions, predator park tours or additional activities at the nearby Sun City resort can be arranged at an additional cost.